Crossing Paths

Susan’s note: This site is nearly out of data space, at last check .08%  is left even after deleting and downsizing. I will continue to post as long as I can before I am blocked completely. If you would like to see the whole story including pictures, please visit the new farm blog at or simply click this link. The follow button is now working on the new site, even if you signed up before the connection did not go through due to some very technical keystrokes that I failed to execute. By trying the follow button now, you will be prompted to insert your email address and will get an email to attest that you are indeed a human. If you see the words ‘Cowpies to Treetops’ below the heading of Schmidlin Angus Farms, you know that you are connected.

We were on our way across the river to feed the main herd their evening meal when Mike noticed a small herd of about twenty elk in the far, far field. Not willing to let resting elk lay, he whistled and hollered at them to get out of our field. They did move but they did not run away. Mike had started a wild critter stampede.

Elk herds don’t usually mix in with cattle herds and it is rare to see them near each other in the large fields. If the elk are on the move, they tend to stay a wide arc away from the cows. With the adrenaline coursing through their systems, the elk ran down from their grazing area, crossed the river with a tremendous white water frothing and forged into the field, near where our cattle herd with the newly returned five from the neighbor farm were preparing to eat their evening meal. As upsetting it is to have a roaming herd pass through their pasture, and still in a ‘getting used to the new arrivals’ mode, the wild frenzy of the elk sent the startled cattle scurrying not sure which way to run and no longer thinking about eating.

It took only moments for the elk herd to bound into the field with our cows, cross with hooves aflyin’ through the pasture, jump over the fence and up into the forest. We lost sight of them about 400 feet up and they had not slowed down one iota. They would be miles away within minutes.

We drove around our cattle with the Gator a couple a times while the herd calmed down after such an explosive startle. When some of the more senior cows realized we still had their dinner of a couple of bales of hay in the bed, the herd settled down and we were able to feed the hay to begin the meal process. We re-counted to make sure we had not lost an animal in the fracas. Thankfully all were accounted for and the rest of the evening went on as normal.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s