For the last few months I had been saying that you would see all the work done in tearing down the crooked barn and putting up the replacement structure.
This is the first of the posts to see that start-to-finish project.
This is what the barn looked like before we started the demolition process.
We started with removing all the little fixes we had done just to keep this building staying upright for the last few years and took off all the easily removed bits first.
The equipment was moved out and any extra boards not holding the structure up were removed.
With equipment out, the tractor was used to help dismantle the manger and flooring where the hay was stored.
We tried to save as much of the usable wood as we could for use in the replacement structure.
The boards were stacked by size and length, unless I was stacking. Then they just got put onto the pile.
With the bulk of the cumbersome walls gone, it was time to lower the structure before it decided to fall on its own.
With the right side of the barn on the ground, crowbars were used to pull the metal roof off one nail at a time.
The beams that were bug riddled or rotten were cut to be used for firewood.
All the nails were saved for scrap metal and all the roof was bent in half, flattened and set on pallets for removal to recycle at a later time.
The second side was dismantled just like the first. The area was swept several times with a strong magnet to make sure we had not left any metal pieces. The tractor and bulldozer were brought in to smooth the area in preparation for the replacement structure.
All this was done around all the other farm work and commitments that usually occur during the spring and summer. Definitely not a quick project.